The story I never wanted to tell

This story is a hard one to tell.  I don't believe that I have to share it, but I also understand that many, many people have questions when a little one dies.  So, I will share it with the hope that your hearts will settle into the One who can lift up your soul.  I know that Haddy's death, whether you knew him or not, leaves a terribly unsettling feeling.  I want your heart to be nestled into the Father for such a time as this.

July 4, 2018, my 38th birthday began with a plan.  Our dear friends, the Dickensons, asked us to go to the pool of a friend of theirs.  We love water.  We spend as much time as we can near or in it.  Both of our families had asked a few others to join us.  We got there around 1 p.m.  We played, we swam, we talked, we laughed.  It was incredibly tender and dear.  Our conversations were our normal.  We laugh, tease, play, but in an instant one of us may be talking about something deep and meaningful.  We talk with our children, all of them, from youngest to oldest.  This day was intended for togetherness and it was just that.

Around dinner time, we started grilling and gathering dinner.  As it was finished, we asked everyone in the pool to get out so we could eat.  It was the usual, all of us serving one another.  All of the adults help the kids to get food and settle down to fill their bellies.  We were in the middle of that space of eating, talking, helping kids when someone dear took off Haddy's puddle jumper so he could eat.  It was entirely innocent.

I want to explain that Jason and I, with a family our size, live with rhythms and systems in place.  Because we spend so much time near water, we leave on the puddle jumpers near the water during meals.  If they come off, it is always a conversation between the two of us and one of us owns the duty of following the child without the life preserver.  It is our practice, as well, because then the one who isn't watching the child is responsible for the rest of the needs of the brood.  This rhythm of our doing life isn't known by everyone we do life with.  It is simply our normal.

Neither Jason nor I fully recognized that Haddy's puddle jumper was off.  Jason recalls looking over near the garage (away from the pool) at our boys and telling them to stop playing in some landscaping, and seeing Haddy in his peripheral view.  There was a large brick fire pit that obstructed Jason's view of all of the children, but he had no sense of concern or need to be hawkeye.  We were just doing life.  He glanced at his phone and remembers thinking it was around 6:05 p.m.

I came outside from taking a quick restroom break and scanned the crowd.  I asked, "Where's Haddy?"  Jason sent me toward the pool and he headed where he had just seen him.  The pool was about 25 feet from the eating area.  As I approached, I saw him face down at the bottom of the pool and jumped in. I pulled him out and started CPR immediately.  He was pulseless and not breathing.  I am an RN and previously an EMT.  I have been trained to respond in such a time as this.  I called for someone to call 911.  They did at 6:10 p.m.  I continued CPR for somewhere around 10 minutes on my child.  I feel confident it was quality CPR.  His color returned slightly as I continued.  However, I knew he was completely full of water.  His belly was distended.  I pushed some of that water out but each time I gave breaths, water and vomit came out.  I knew then it would take a miracle for my baby to live.

Jason was completely beyond himself.  He was trying to shout to Haddy. I simply asked him to pray.  He fell to his knees and did just that.  All of our friends gathered all of our collective children and pulled them away from the scene to shield them.  I am ever grateful for my brood.  Every one of them took a role in this intense tragedy.  The fire team arrived on the scene and took over.  I watched the entire process.  They placed the pads of the defibrillator on his little chest and back and quickly started an intraosseous line.  They allowed me to check for his pulse.  It was still absent.  The process continued with the right drugs at the right time and good quality CPR.

They transported him to St. Francis South, the closest hospital to our location. We were driven to the hospital and prayed with every bit of faith we could muster that God would spare our son.  We arrived at the emergency department both still wet from the pool.  They were continuing CPR and epinephrine just as they should.  An elder at Village Bible Church and a friend of my sister's from high school were both part of Haddy's code.  Their presence was a comfort to Jason and me that God knew we needed.  He never regained a pulse of any kind.  They were never even able to shock him.

At 7:10 p.m, the doctor started talking about stopping CPR.  When he asked us our thoughts, it felt like 15 minutes had passed from the time I pulled him from the pool.  It was surreal.  I was not hysterical and I could process the facts.  They gave us a few minutes to process and stopped CPR around 7:15pm.  We both knew that Haddy was gone and it was time to stop.  Their team let us hold and sit with him.  Our family started arriving quite quickly.  Jason and I held him.  Jason rocked him.  I sang our bedtime song to my baby boy for the last time.

"Go to sleep, go to sleep, go to sleep, my sweet Haddy.
Fall asleep now, fast asleep, so your little heart can dream.
Close your eyes, say a prayer, let the Lord do the rest.
Let the Lord do the rest."

Dear friends, I do not understand.  I have so many questions, but I will not place blame.  I have committed to Jesus and those around me that I will fight to live, fight against guilt.  I beg you to do the same.  Our entire family is reeling with pain.  Guilt and blame will not do any good thing for anyone.

This is the hardest providence of my life.  Our arms ache for him; our hearts are shattered.  Please do not cling to the "I wishes" or "They should haves."  It is only more heaping pain to encounter.  We are in an ocean of grief.  Our family, our church family are completely beyond our capabilities in this.

Dear friends, as I sit in a room filled with the smell of my son's funeral flowers, please hear me.  Jesus is on the throne and He is enough.  Please go to Him on our behalf and intercede.  It is the truest and purest gift.  I hope to continue to write.  Jesus meets me in this, but I make no promises.  I don't know how I will do this.  The coming days are a total mystery to me.  I know this: We are more loved by God than I can comprehend, Haddy is safe and happy (I will need reminded of this), and our family and friends have poured out themselves on our behalf since the moment we realized he was at the bottom of the pool.  We are completely overwhelmed with your grace to serve, love, and give.  I am convinced that God has carried us on the prayers of the saints.  I don't know what tomorrow holds, but I know who holds tomorrow.

Psalm 34:18
"The Lord is near to the brokenhearted
    and saves the crushed in spirit."

Comments

  1. Marri, I am so so sorry and I am praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marri,

    I will pray and pray hard for your family. Knowing that he is safe in the arms of the lord and you will see him again someday will be the only thing that gets you through some of the days ahead. I did not know your sweet Haddy, but my heart is so broken for you and your entire family. The loss of a child is so extremely difficult. I love you, Katrina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Continuing to pray for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marri, the strength and grace you show can only come Jesus. I keep have this sort of vision in my head of Jim and Betty holding hands with Haddy and swinging him back and forth! I have a feeling Jesus is loving that sweet boy just as you and Jason do! And just imagine the bedtime songs he is hearing now! Love you sweet one! Tonya P

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is Cathy Blanchard responding. We are so sorry for the pain and grief you are experiencing, and will be continuing in our prayers for you. If at some time in the future you feel the need, there is a very good grief support group at St Francis hospital for parents who have lost a child. Our daughter and son-in-law found it very helpful when they needed it a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marri--please know that your family at Valley Mills Christian Church is praying for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marri, my heart is so heavy. This is well written and your display of faith and trusting in our Father is yours and Jason’s testimony! I pray for comfort and peace for you and also that someone will see your testimony and a seed will be planted in someone’s heart to come to Christ!
    I lost my oldest brother several years ago and the only comfort is through Him. My parents testimony of putting their trust in God and strengthening faith will forever be an example to me and others.
    Marri, your testimony encourages me because even through the hardest journey of your life you are still looking to God and putting your rest in the One who is in control of it all. Dear cousin, I do not know you well, but I love you and your family and am continuing to pray daily. -Michelle S.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your faith and grace is and will always be one of the most beautiful qualities about yourself and your family. Sending all the love and thoughts to you and yours from me and mine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Prayers for you all during this time

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is absolutely heart breaking and I can’t even bare to imagine what you are all going through. I pray to the great lord above that with the lord by your side and the togetherness of your family that you guys will find the strength to fight on through the memories of your baby boy. I am so sorry for your loss.❤️

    ReplyDelete
  11. My heart breaks but my soul is strengthened by your words. Love your honesty & your determination to cling to Christ who is enough.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My heart aches for you and your family. Praying for continued strength, comfort, and blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Marri, Jason and sweet family...you remain in our hearts and prayers... there are no words, Jesus is everything and His Grace is sufficient.
    With Love & Prayers,
    Melody Stevens and the Women of Wonder ministry!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Marri, I am so sorry for your loss. I know we haven’t spoke in years but I am here. If you need anything at all please let me know. I will continue to pray for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Marri, Thank you for sharing your heart. It is good for you to communicate it and it is good for us to hear it from you. Though it seems that nothing in life could possibly prepare you for this dark time, you are prepared. You may lose your balance, your equilibrium, for a time, but you will find it again. Joy and sorrow...sorrow and joy. Trust the things you know and the things you didn't think you did know but now you do. Our Jesus wept, too. peace...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Marri: I amwithout words, tears in eyes. Praying.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are fully known and dearly loved. Keep clinging to Our Father. I will continue to pray for you all as often as you are brought to mind. Thank you for letting Jesus be seen through you in all of this. My heart grieves for all of you.
    Your friend- Melissa Downs

    ReplyDelete
  18. We love you guys and are feeling your pain. We will continue to pray for your family. If you need to talk, we are glad to listen. It is really hard, but the memories will get sweeter and not as painful with time. Cling to the Lord and each other. Love, Kathy and Joe Robertson

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh sweet Marri, shooting straight from your heart and thinking of others, as always, no matter how painful. You are our earthly hero. We love you ALL so much, and though we can't possibly know the depth of your pain, we mourn with you, pray with you & love you always. Happy, heavenly Haddy will remain in our hearts & minds until we see him again. Love, Tim & Linda

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lord Have Mercy

    I am in tears yet comforted by your Godly Strength Marri!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I do not know you but my heart is broken for you and your family. Please know we are praying for all of you. All you can do is take one second at a time and I am sure no one expects anything more from you. I will keep you in my thoughts. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I will pray God continue to give you and your family peace, strength and courage.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dear God - Please watch over this family. Please give Haddy's family the strength to find peace again. Please. No parent deserves this pain.

    This is unimaginable & I am truly sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You and your family are on my mind for sure. I just can’t stop thinking about it your loss. I can only imagine what you are going through. So so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I send prayers and strength. My 35-year-old son went to heaven one year ago. I read your story and I am thankful I had 35 years with my son. I will tell him, as we talk every night, to look for Haddy and hold him in his arms. May our dear Lord wrap his arms around you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Prayers that the Lord’s love heals your family’s heart. Deepest condolences

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh Marri! I am sobbing reading this. Thank you. Thank you so much for your brave words. Your faith and courage are palpable! Although I have not met you. We have some dear mutual friends. I hope I get to meet you one day and hug your neck. I will continue to lift up your dear, precious family as you face each new challenge. May Haddy's sweet memory be eternal in the care of our Loving Father. In Jesus' name

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you for sharing your story, may God comfort you at this time and in the future! Your faith is so strong! I cannot even imagine this, I will be praying from one mammas heart to another!

    ReplyDelete
  29. My heart and prayers go out to you all

    ReplyDelete
  30. My heart is so broken for you. Sending many prayers and love. Your words are a blessing to us. I’m so sorry for your loss. And so grateful for the promise of who holds our tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Marri, we have not meant but I want to thank you for sharing your story. I can see you are wise, courageous and loving like your sister Mandi. I did not want to ask what had happened because the stone truth is that no explanation can bring sweet Haddy back. But, for those who dance around the dangerous pit of guilt and blame, your words remind us that we have to remember that he is at peace. In The last two years, I lost my brother at 53, and my parents at age 91 and 83. Your story reminds me that I was LUCKY to have their love and light as long as I did. And, I can promise you, if my mother’s Spirit is anywhere near Haddy, he will be showered in love. Sending massive hugs and love to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I do not know you, but as the mother of two little girls, the battle you are faced with is my greatest fear. There is no blame or shame placed upon you or your loved ones, only complete sympathy and compassion. It is all too easy to write off tragedies as merely a statistic, but each of those instances are a ripple effect. They touch the hearts of those closest and ripple out into the hearts and minds of the surrounding community. I pray for you, your husband, your family and friends. I am saddened that your sweet Haddy was taken so soon, but I am positive that though he may miss you, he is not sad at all. He is rejoicing with the Lord. He is filled with peace, comfort, happiness, and wrapped in God's arms. He will be watching you, cheering you on, sending you signs, and waiting patiently for your arrival.

    "I said a prayer for you today
    And know God must have heard.
    I felt the answer in my heart
    Although he spoke no word
    I didn't ask for wealth or fame (I knew you wouldn't mind).
    I asked him to send treasures
    Of a far more lasting kind
    I asked that he be near you
    At the start of each new day;
    To grant you health and blessings
    And friends to share your way
    I asked for happiness for you
    In all things great and small.
    But it was for his loving care
    I prayed the most of all"

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am so sorry this happened to your family. It's unbelievable how quiclkly an accident can happen to the most observant, respondent and responsible person. I cannot imagine the heartache you feel. I wish you strength as you come to terms with the loss of your precious little being to such a tragic ACCIDENT. May peace be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Marri, I love you so. You are so precious to me and always have been. Thank you for sharing this unfathomable time with us. We are praying for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Marri, Jason and family. My family’s heart aches and have shed many tears for you. There are no words to offer in a time such as this. You are right that the truest and purest gift that can be offered is to stand in the gap petitioning Him on your behalf, and we are. Know that when you are too weary to pray, too broken to stand that there are so many standing at all times for you. Not only will Jesus continue to meet you in this, He will carry you through until you can run again. -The Burkharts

    ReplyDelete
  36. Marri, I cannot imagine what you are going thru, but I do now Jesus is with your son, and he is with you. Please know that I am praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I do not know you, ur husband, or family but what I do know is how brave you all are. I apperciate you taking time in ur sorrow to share such a great story of faith. Im knew in my faith and this story of ur faith shows Gods grace and mercy. Thank you for ur pain sadness and uncertainty to be so transparent. I will not judge you or blame anybody but what I will do is continue to lift you and your family up in prayer. The amount of strength that you are showing during this time is none other but the strength of Christ shining through you. Thank you for sharing your story yeah. I'm sorry you had the story to share. May God continue to bless your family and give you the comfort and the peace only he is able to at this time in your life.
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  38. I will be remembering you and your family in prayer. This same tragedy just happened to a local family on June the 10th. I will send you the link, when the time is right maybe you can connect with Nicole, his mother. She has been trying to reach out to save others from this same tragedy. I can't imagine, I'm so sorry for your loss.

    https://www.levislegacy.com/

    ReplyDelete
  39. Praying for all of you, May God wrap his loving arms around you!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Marri - my heart has ached for your family since 7/4. My sweet niece was in the trauma room next to your son’s at St. Francis. As I sat in shock at her near drowning incident your son came in. I went from praying for one to praying for two in a matter of seconds. I’m so sorry for your loss and am truly amazed at your strength of faith. I will continue to pray for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Marri - You and your family have been in my prayers since Chris's mother texted me with the urgent prayer request last Wed evening. My prayers have now changed to prayers for God's strength,peace and comfort for all of you. I covenant to pray for you daily as I know this is now a journey, not a season. Martha Jo Khachigan, Lake City, FL

    ReplyDelete
  42. I am so sorry for your loss. I have lost a son as well to a drowning so I know the pain you are experiencing. If you ever need someone to talk to I am here for you. God bless you and your family. Rest in Peace sweet Haddy.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I’ve been there in this mother’s heart and life. 53 years ago my two year old, Diana, went to be with Jesus as a result of a car accident. Your heart always remembers BUT GOD is your strength. No you can’t do it on your own, but He will carry you. I feel the pain of this family.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Whisper: Your Pain is Not Sovereign

Grit