Laughter is Good Medicine

This morning we were discussing laughter and humor over the wafting smell of bacon frying in our cast iron skillet.  Let’s just say it was a glorious moment in time.  I was reading funny Spurgeon quotes to Jason after a friend shared a quote this week that made my heart glad.


“There are difficulties in everything except in eating pancakes.”


I’ve said many times that laughter is good medicine.  Yet, laughter has often felt so difficult to come by.  There are so many aching realities within and surrounding us.  How could we welcome or indulge in laughter when our hearts are in agony?  Let’s be real, forcing laughter is phony, an evasive front without the provision of any real relief, but laughter does produce some mysteriously therapeutic wonderment within.  


So how do we get there?  I am finding that looking outside of myself, staying there and lingering for a long while, can often produce laughter.  Sometimes the simplicity of wondering over life, nuances, quirks, language, silliness, or children provoke opportunities for laughter.  For example, taking my mind’s eye from the magnitude of grief within and watching my child grin as he dreams up another ornery adventure.  Isn’t it funny to see the wonder of a child move over their face?  Does it ever make you move back in time to your own delight as a child?  


I find the feelings, the sounds, and the contagious nature of laughter escaping from a genuine place of looking outside of my own pain and into the God ordained providence in front of me, are an act of trust and of worship.  To let my body, heart, and mind release and experience joy all at once, is to say to God, In this moment, I will exude joy and gratitude and goodness, trusting you for what I need in the next providence when it comes.  For now, I will glory in You, a God who is most assuredly for my good and has the best sense of humor of all.  I will be present in this moment with gladness and cheer, for You are with me and worthy of this eruption of pleasure and delight bubbling out of my being.  You are worthy even if this momentary delight ends and longing returns with a vengeance.  Laughter is a reminder of the fulfillment of promises to come, a hearty dose of trusting in You enough to let the present moment be that which consumes my heart, mind, and body.


I’ll leave you with these gems for quotes from Charles Haddon Spurgeon:


“A light heart can bear heavy burdens” 


“I do believe in my heart that there may be as much holiness in a laugh as in a cry.”


Dear Jesus, 


Make me to hear joy and gladness, let the bones you have broken rejoice.  Psalm 51:8


As you show me the beauty in this painful providence of lament, will you also restore our laughter and dancing unto You?  Will you allow us the sobering gift of laughter and dancing in the face of great pain?  My asking is most assuredly born out of the hope you are developing in me.  It isn’t without experiencing a depth of pain I will never adequately place words around nor ever expose fully to anyone but You.  It is here Lord, that I ask for this sweet measure of faith for the goodness of this particular aspect of worship.  Do Your bidding Lord.  Whatever You bring to me, may you weave acceptance into my heart and trust in You, my good Father.

In Jesus Name

Amen

Comments

  1. God brought you to my mind today and I saw this update. I am so thankful for you and your family, for your beauty in ashes, and the hope and endurance you have helped inspire in me through your sharing. I also just listened to a podcast earlier today, not making the connection until I just read through this update. I'm not sure if it's anything you'd be interested in, but I I figured it couldn't hurt to send it your way either way. https://www.nancyguthrie.com/respite-retreat

    I've been praying for you over and over the past two and a half years and will continue to sue so as God brings you to my mind. Thank you so much for your faithfulness, I know it will branch out farther than you could ever imagine.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The story I never wanted to tell

A Whisper: Your Pain is Not Sovereign

Dare to Hope