An act of kindness.

I came home from work yesterday to find my mother-in-law with a little trinkle of sweat on her cheek. She always has a huge smile on her face and she says, "Man, my back is really sore." I inquire, "Why?" She responds, "Well, I think it is because I did all of your laundry, so I did the stairs quite a bit." And then I think I heard the trumpets sound and angels sing. I mean, that may be small to some but I have two babies under the age of two. I probably had at least 10 loads of laundry. This is HUGE! My laundry hasn't been caught up since before Lydia was born and she is 14 weeks old. It was close about two months ago when my Granny and Mom came over and finished all but a few loads, but I am ashamed to say I still never had empty baskets. Anyway, it gets better! I KNOW! Then I look to the counter and dinner is cooked AND she proceeds to tell me that both kids are bathed and pretty much ready for bed.

I have to say here, this is a moment when I feel so incredibly loved. Right now in my lfe, I work really hard to keep up with all that I have going on in my world. Sometimes I allow the tasky stuff of life to rob me of the special, sweet moments of raising two young ones. It fills my mind and my OCD just takes over. So this act of service, kindness, and love really was something for me. What I love though about my Mother-in-law is that she really sees me. She takes the time to hear me and knows what would be specifically helpful to me. That means the world to me. Her thoughtful heart and sweet spirit bring me great joy.

I have to part you with this challenge. Women of God, love your mother-in-law well. Let's break the 'rules' together and cultivate relationships that honor God. We all have the opportunity to choose how we will respond to and accept this relationship. Our culture just breeds this notion that this specific relationship is doomed for failure. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that this woman in my life has looked over many of my faults and failures and has chosen to love me. I hope and pray that I can honor her and love her well in return. She is a gift to me.

Comments

  1. That's awesome Marri! She is so loving. I am also blessed with a wonderful, loving mother in law. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true about the "norm" of society when it comes to wives and their mothers-in-law. It's seems rare to hear of a relationship where the two ate close. I'm very grateful that my mom is loving to Ashley and treats her like her own child. I've heard a lot of negative talk about in-laws since I started working in healthcare five years ago so its refreshing to read this blog post Marri.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Marri, I miss my mother-in-law every day and even more now that we have a young one! I wish I had had the time with her to cultivate what I know would be a very loving very rewarding relationship. She raised a great son and I can only imagine the kind of mother in law she would have been!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Marri, I just found your blog and I love it! You make me smile...and reading it makes me feel like it's been ages since we were in nursing school (that's a good thing!) :) I am so blessed by my mother-in-law too. She is supportive and loving. She has never made one negative comment about my parenting or my abilities to be a wife to her son. She loves me for who I am, and I don't have to "perform" in a certain way to gain her respect or love. The relationship is a blessing beyond anything I could have hoped for when I married my husband. I'm so glad you have that, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The story I never wanted to tell

A Whisper: Your Pain is Not Sovereign

Dare to Hope